The Vocal Program at Musicians Institute combines technical and creative development with live performing experiences that encourages students to explore their stylistic identity, becoming singers that can adapt to a wide variety of musical styles, including blues, r&b, rock, jazz and even live vocal looping.
BUILD YOUR TECHNIQUE AND IDENTITY
MI’s Vocal Program combines technical and creative development with continuous live performing experience, MI’s Vocal education has no parallel in the world of contemporary vocal training. Programs are designed to build your technique and stylistic identity as well as gain confidence in your abilities plus train you to be a tech-savvy industry professional.
Take the skills you develop in classes and private lessons directly to the stage learning not only how to sing, but how to communicate effectively with a live audience whether you’re interpreting contemporary styles or showcasing your original material. MI’s unique creative performing environment challenges you to expand the limits of your vocal instrument while creating and exploring your own stylistic identity.
MASTER OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
The Master of Music in Performance (Vocal) from Musicians Institute combines advanced performance training with additional study in both traditional and contemporary disciplines such as music history, theory, education, research skills, recording technology, production, business relations and online brand management, taking your guitar skills to the highest level.
BACHELOR OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
This unique degree program combines contemporary music performance training with the rigorous study of traditional disciplines including sight-reading, music history, arranging, conducting, recording and more. The comprehensive program instructs students to demonstrate stylistic depth, creative maturity and professional competence in preparation for careers in today’s music industry.
ASSOCIATE OF ARTS OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
The intensive A.A. curriculum prepares musicians to perform in any professional situation, along with learning professional development skills such as basic computer use, EPK creation, resume and bio writing, and social media as a tool for business and networking. The Associate of Arts Degree is intended to equip students with the knowledge and training needed to become professional performers in today’s music industry.
CERTIFICATE OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
Students can earn a Certificate in MI’s Performance Studies program for Vocal. With an innovative 360-degree approach to music education, MI Certificates are centered on Harmony, Theory and Ear Training, with core subjects in Reading, Technique and Performance. This Certificate program provides students with a broad foundation of knowledge and practical experience, encouraging the rapid development of skills in preparation for a range of professional music performance situations.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- Vocal Performance – Developing fundamental technical approaches through twice-weekly performances with a live, three-piece backing band in a number of popular genres.
- Vocal Technique – Learning breathing techniques and breath management. Increasing vocal range, strengthening the voice and more through vocal exercises plus learning about vocal health with an introduction to the anatomy and physiology of the voice.
- Harmony/Theory/Ear Training – Development of fundamental music notation skills for pitch and rhythm, scales and key signatures, intervals, triads and harmonies.
- Sight Singing – The basic elements of sight reading music.
- Image Development – Focusing on developing a stage persona, on-camera interviews, video shoot terminologies, filmed camera performances, appropriate song choices, set lists and more.
- Promotional Media – Creating the audio/visual materials necessary to promote students as artists, performers or songwriters using professional photographs, websites, electronic press kits, CD covers and biographies.
- Entertainment Business – Understanding the entertainment industry including publishing, copyrights, contracts, record companies, distributors, agents, managers, lawyers and more.
- Studio Recording – Learning the art and practical skills of creating your own professional quality song demo, including pre-production, recording studio terminology, EQ, pre-amplification, equipment choices and effects for lead vocals.
- Extensive Electives – including Blues, R&B, Rock, Heavy Metal, Jazz, Brazilian, Country, Rap, and TC Helicon for Vocalists (live vocal looping).
- Develop stage-ready live performing skills in Vocal Performance Class, LPWs (Live Performance Workshops) and Gospel Choir.
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: BACHELOR
Bachelor of Music Degree requirements include completion of 30 semester-units or 45 quarter-units of coursework in General Studies. For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: CERTIFICATE
Musicians Institute programs are fast paced and certain fundamental musical skills are required before you can begin your program. If you meet entry requirements and are accepted, a one-on-one performance evaluation and placement testing will be held during registration to determine whether you qualify for advanced placement in any area of course work. You are evaluated based on the content of your submission. For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
International students make up nearly one-fourth of MI’s total student population, representing more than 50 countries throughout the world while creating a unique and diverse learning environment, full of endless opportunities in Hollywood and beyond. For more info, please visit the International Students page.
- Full production sound stages and recording studios
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
Includes LA’s top instructors and performers who are continually involved in the ever-changing music industry who bring their real world experience into the classroom. Regular concerts and clinics with top vocal specialists from around the world.