MUSIC BUSINESS SCHOOL
Musicians Institute’s Music Business Program features in-depth training and interactive learning experiences with seasoned music industry professionals, who bring real-world experience to the classroom. Our course topics cover the diverse range of industry areas including Law and Contracts, Music Publishing and Licensing, Artist and Tour Management, A&R and Record Labels, Distribution, Promotion, and Marketing.
Whether you are an aspiring music business professional, an enterprising entrepreneur or an artist seeking a comprehensive industry education, MI’s Music Business Program is designed to give you the necessary knowledge, tools and skills to put your career on the fast track and lead you to success!
LEARN MORE ABOUT MI
NAVIGATE THE MUSIC BUSINESS INDUSTRY WITH CONFIDENCE
We are one of the top music industry colleges that provides the essential knowledge and connections you need to succeed. Our curriculum is comprehensive and diverse, including courses in Law, Publishing, Music Supervision, Distribution, Management and Marketing, which will give our graduates a well-rounded start to their career.
ASSOCIATE OF SCIENCE IN MUSIC BUSINESS
The Associate of Science in Music Business degree provides students with in-depth training in a diverse range of subjects encountered in today’s music industry. In addition to principal courses in entertainment law, music publishing and licensing, record labels, distribution, personal management and more, the Associate of Science degree also includes courses in music industry history, international music publishing, accounting and finance, marketing, and visual media.
CERTIFICATE IN MUSIC BUSINESS
For those seeking non-performance careers in the music industry, this program provides the knowledge and practical skills needed for entry-level positions at record labels, marketing and publicity firms, or music industry companies specializing in A&R, licensing, entertainment law, publishing and more.
MI SELECT & NON-CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
MI Select are non-certificate programs designed to provide students with “a taste of MI” if they want another option to full-time. Students can create their own customized schedule from available classes and workshops, while enjoying access to the special guest clinics, extra activities and other industry networking opportunities.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- Extensive instruction in the critical areas of Music Law and Music Publishing including copyright law, licensing and agreements.
- Coverage of the range of industry areas such as Management, Touring, Booking, Distribution, and Marketing, as well as entrepreneurial focused courses.
- For the Associate degree, specialized courses in International Music Publishing as well as Royalty Administration, including a course providing introductory training on the industry standard software, Record Maestro. MI is the first and only educational institution offering training on this software which is used by over 200+ companies such as BMG Rights Management, Warner Bros. Entertainment, Concord Records, Epitaph, and Nettwerk Productions.
- Featured guests from across the industry including managers, established executives, and entrepreneurs.
- Guidance in vital networking techniques designed to help procure jobs, gigs and deals.
- Training in how to procure and/or handle performance opportunities, touring and concerts at name venues.
- Experiential learning through internships at established businesses in the music industry while earning course credits.
- Career preparation and skills training in business writing, resume development, related computer applications and leadership.
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: ASSOCIATE
For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: CERTIFICATE
For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
For more info, please visit the International Students page.
- Full production sound stages and recording studios
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
Our faculty are music industry professionals from all areas of the business who work directly with major artists as well as top music executives and companies:
CREDITS: Warner Chappell France, Hit & Run Music Publishing, BMG Music Publishing, BMG Rights Management. 30-year career working with songwriters including Shelly Peiken (Grammy Nominee), Wally Gagel, Xandy Barry, Jean Baptiste, busbee, and David Gamson (Grammy Nominee).
TIMOTHY ANDREW EDWARDS
CREDITS: Composer, Music Supervisor, Creative Director/Founder of own music licensing company. Keeping Up With the Kardashians, The Bachelor, Ellen, TMZ, Extra (theme), Mike & Molly, Sons of Anarchy, Vampire Diaries, Smallville, NBC/Universal, CBS, ABC, Fox, Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures, Lionsgate, DreamWorks.
CREDITS: Publisher of the Music Business Registry, A&R for Clive Davis/Arista Records, Promotions for A&M Records, SCORE Industry Newsletter, Co-founder of MUBUTV, Industry Conferences – Panel Moderator, Speaker, Organizer.
GARY A. WATSON, ESQ.
CREDITS: Music industry clients have included Arista Records, Bad Boy Records, Motown, Def Jam, Tommy Boy, Flyte Tyme Records, Dr. Dre. Universal Pictures lead attorney on films including “The Guardian,” “Mo’ Better Blues,” “The Babe,” “Death Becomes Her;” “Scent of a Woman.”