Students of MI Online will take classes that will equip them to handle any style of music, from funk, rock, jazz, R&B, and more, making them diverse players in the industry.
JOIN US ON
FOR THE MI ONLINE VIRTUAL INFORMATION SESSION.
SETTING THE STANDARD FOR TOP BASS PROGRAMS
ASSOCIATE OF ARTS IN MUSIC PERFORMANCE
The intensive A.A. curriculum prepares musicians to perform in any professional situation, along with learning professional development skills such as basic computer use, EPK creation, resume and bio writing, and social media as a tool for business and networking. The Associate of Arts Degree is intended to equip students with the knowledge and training needed to become professional performers in today’s music industry.
CERTIFICATE IN MUSIC PERFORMANCE
Students can earn a Certificate in MI’s Performance Studies program for Bass. With an innovative 360-degree approach to music education, MI Certificates are centered on Harmony, Theory and Ear Training, with core subjects in Reading, Technique and Performance. This Certificate program provides students with a broad foundation of knowledge and practical experience, encouraging the rapid development of skills in preparation for a range of professional music performance situations.
ACCOMPANIST (STUDIO OR LIVE)
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- All aspects of theory and musicianship for the electric and upright bass
- Playing techniques for finger and slap styles
- Exposure to various grooves like rock, funk, shuffles, swing, odd- meter, Brazilian, Afro-Cuban, country, and jam-band
- Experience with chart reading and band interaction
- Fretboard basics covering triads, chords, scales, harmonies and arpeggios
- Includes music theory, ear training, music history, and understanding of different styles
- Reading fundamentals for the bass clef, with rhythmic subdivisions, pitch identification, and string positions
- A choice of elective classes for topics like upright acoustic bass as well as genres like metal, R&B and jazz
A. Play two scales and two arpeggios of your choice at any tempo with accurate execution and consistent time.
B. Play 60 seconds of rhythm groove in any style and tempo.
C. Submit two performances that best represent your style and abilities. The recordings may be solo or may include other musicians or play-along tracks. You may submit previously recorded material that features your playing; Original material or covers.
D. Speaking Voice: Record your own speaking voice with a short narrative explaining why you wish to attend Musicians Institute.
Our faculty pool is comprised of dedicated, working processionals in the competitive Los Angeles music scene. These passionate masters offer clear guidance and nurturing designed to make the students get the most out of their time at MI.
CREDITS: CROSBY, STILLS & NASH, MANHATTAN TRANSFER, JACKSON BROWNE, DWEEZIL & AHMET ZAPPA, ALBERT LEE, CAROLE KING
CREDITS: STEVE TYRELL, DIANE SCHUUR, ALEX ACUNA, ERIC MARIENTHAL, MARY CLAYTON, LEW SOLOFF, BYRON STRIPLING
MI ONLINE PROGRAMS
STUDENT CONSUMER DISCLOSURES
Bachelor of Music in Performance
Bachelor of Music in Performance With Minor in Music Industry Studies
Bachelor of Music in Performance With Minor in Audio Production
Associate of Arts in Performance Combined Emphasis
Associate of Arts in Performance
Certificate in Performance