The Drum Program at Musicians Institute is designed to fully prepare aspiring drummers for a successful career in today’s music business. Our exciting program is contemporary and diverse and sets our graduates on the path to accomplish all of their goals as working drummers.
AN IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE
MI’s Drum programs offer a diverse and practical approach to contemporary drum education. At MI, drumming is a total-immersion experience–learn a new groove or fill during your morning college drum class, and use it on stage that same afternoon in front of your professors and classmates. Here, you gain first-hand access to some of the greatest drummers in the world through frequent clinics and concerts.
The program is constantly evolving to meet the changing needs of drummers and the workplace, going beyond traditional drumming skills to include electronic drumming, digital recording, loops and sequencing. An MI Drum education gives you the real-world experience and confidence you need to meet the changing demands of the profession while you also preserve your individual vision as a player.
MI’s Drum Program also offers courses on Electronic Drumming, Contemporary Cajon, Basic Afro Cuban percussion including conga, bongo, timbales and hand percussion.
MASTER OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
The Master of Music in Performance (Drum) from Musicians Institute combines advanced performance training with additional study in both traditional and contemporary disciplines such as music history, theory, education, research skills, recording technology, production, business relations and online brand management, taking your drumming skills to the highest level.
BACHELOR OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
This unique degree program combines contemporary music performance training with the rigorous study of traditional disciplines including sight-reading, music history, arranging, conducting, recording and more. The comprehensive program instructs students to demonstrate stylistic depth, creative maturity and professional competence in preparation for careers in today’s music industry.
ASSOCIATE OF ARTS OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
The intensive A.A. curriculum prepares musicians to perform in any professional situation, along with learning professional development skills such as basic computer use, EPK creation, resume and bio writing, and social media as a tool for business and networking. The Associate of Arts Degree is intended to equip students with the knowledge and training needed to become professional performers in today’s music industry.
CERTIFICATE OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
Students can earn a Certificate in MI’s Performance Studies program for Drum. With an innovative 360-degree approach to music education, MI’s Drum Certificate is centered on Reading, Technique and Performance. This Certificate program provides students with a broad foundation of knowledge and practical experience, encouraging the rapid development of skills in preparation for a range of professional music performance situations.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
MI has a competitive curriculum that will make sure students are fully prepared for everything they can encounter in a drumming career.
- Cutting Edge – Courses such as E-Drumming, Studio Drumming and Timekeeping present the latest technical side of drumming with a focus on Ableton Live, ProTools, and sound production. Our newest course, E-drumming Essentials, helps students further gain experience using acoustic triggers, triggering pads, multi pads, and e-kits.
- Diverse – Our Drum Performance, Advanced Drumming and Live Performance Workshop are just some of the diverse courses designed to prepare students for an array of experiences in touring and gigging. MI introduced even more diverse courses, including Gospel/ R&B Drumming, Progressive Drumming, and Hybrid-Cajon.
- Traditional – Drum Reading, Drum Technique and Developing Your Groove offer a clear and cohesive presentation of the fundamentals of drumming.
- Balanced – Keyboard Proficiency, Drum Recording, Harmony & Theory and Ear Training give our drummers a musical edge with knowledge to expand their careers in the songwriting and publishing fields.
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: BACHELOR
Bachelor of Music Degree requirements include completion of 30 semester-units or 45 quarter-units of coursework in General Studies. For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: CERTIFICATE
Musicians Institute programs are fast paced and certain fundamental musical skills are required before you can begin your program. If you meet entry requirements and are accepted, a one-on-one performance evaluation and placement testing will be held during registration to determine whether you qualify for advanced placement in any area of course work. You are evaluated based on the content of your submission. For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
International students make up nearly one-fourth of MI’s total student population, representing more than 50 countries throughout the world while creating a unique and diverse learning environment, full of endless opportunities in Hollywood and beyond. For more info, please visit the International Students page.
- Full production sound stages and recording studios
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
Our faculty is comprised of dedicated, working professionals in the competitive Los Angeles music scene. These passionate professionals offer clear guidance and nurturing class environments, designed for students get the most out of their time at MI.