STUDIO RECORDING PROGRAM
The Studio Recording program offers audio recording enthusiasts and engineers the opportunity to work in professional recording studios and audio recording scenarios. Using industry relevant equipment in a number of studio and production spaces, students will learn all phases of music recording, with hands-on projects in individual and team exercises designed to build a mastery of the recording process.
PRACTICAL STUDIO RECORDING EXPERIENCE
Studio Recording offers a deep dive into the components, techniques, and roles involved in professional audio recording and production. With a focus on music, students learn to use industry relevant recording equipment in multiple studio and production spaces and scenarios to track, edit, mix, master and produce.
Additional subjects expose students to the laws and conventions in the entertainment industry, professionalism in the studio, advanced technology and techniques, as well as divergent fields such as live sound and sound to picture post-production.
Students are mentored by industry professionals in practical, hands-on recording scenarios. These professionals make up the faculty at MI, and professional musicians and student bands supply the in studio musical talent.
ASSOCIATE OF SCIENCE IN STUDIO RECORDING
An A.S. in Studio Recording will train students in the processes of editing, mastering, field recording, sound effects and more. This program prepares graduates for a wide range of audio engineering opportunities in the music, film and television industries.
MI SELECT & NON-CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
MI Select are non-certificate programs designed to provide students with “a taste of MI” if they want another option to full-time. Students can create their own customized schedule from available classes and workshops, while enjoying access to the special guest clinics, extra activities and other industry networking opportunities.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- As one of the best audio engineering schools, MI teaches students how to manage the entire audio production process, from pre-production and tracking, to mixing and mastering.
- Develop industry-ready post-production skills such as field recording, film mixing, Foley recording, and
- Automated dialogue replacement (ADR).
- Access to professional recording studios.
- Real-world electives such as Electronics, Project Studio Design and Internships.
- Recording, mixing and mastering original projects with extensive Ear Training taught in MI’s audio labs.
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: ASSOCIATE DEGREE
Musicians Institute programs are fast paced and certain fundamental musical skills are required before you can begin your program. If you meet entry requirements and are accepted, a one-on-one performance evaluation and placement testing will be held during registration to determine whether you qualify for advanced placement in any area of course work. You are evaluated based on the content of your submission.
For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
International students make up nearly one-fourth of MI’s total student population, representing more than 50 countries throughout the world while creating a unique and diverse learning environment, full of endless opportunities in Hollywood and beyond.
For more info, please visit the International Students page.
- Full production sound stages and recording studios
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
MI’S GRAMMY® and Emmy-winning Audio Engineering instructors have multi-platinum album and work with today’s top artists: