GUITAR PROGRAM at MI COLLEGE of CONTEMPORARY MUSIC
The Guitar Degree Program at Musicians Institute is designed to develop professional level technique and musicianship through performance-intensive and immersive experiences. Guitar classes are taught by leading professionals and students will get trained in the basics of guitar playing, including performance, ear training, and melodic soloing. MI students gain the tools necessary to move from a beginner player to a guitar player ready to work and perform in all genres, from rock to pop, jazz and beyond.
THE LEADER IN GUITAR INSTRUCTION
In 1977, the Guitar Institute of Technology (GIT) revolutionized contemporary music education with the first full-time program to offer hands-on professional training for the electric guitarist. Over three decades later, MI remains the leader in guitar education, besting other colleges for guitar players, with a unique system that combines technical, creative and professional development in a performance-based program.
At MI, you learn from a proven curriculum taught by the best guitar instructors in the world, augmented by visiting artists’ seminars, concerts, and lessons from some of the greatest players in contemporary music. At our guitar music college, you get to network with other players, find your creative voice, and get the training you need to become the player you have always dreamed of being.
MI’s Acoustic Guitar degree program provides acoustic guitarists with a uniquely designed education aimed at providing training in specialized acoustic guitar techniques and acoustic guitar repertoire, while still maintaining and carrying forward the strong traditions MI has held since 1977. In this program, acoustic guitarists will have specialized classes & lessons covering everything from beginner basic fingerstyle techniques and advanced percussive techniques, and more.
MASTER OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
The Master of Music in Performance (Guitar) from Musicians Institute combines advanced performance training with additional study in both traditional and contemporary disciplines such as music history, theory, education, research skills, recording technology, production, business relations, learning software, and online brand management, taking your guitar skills to the highest level.
BACHELOR OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
This unique degree program combines contemporary music performance training with the rigorous study of traditional guitar learning disciplines and tools, including sight-reading, music history, arranging, conducting, recording and more. The comprehensive program instructs students to demonstrate stylistic depth, creative maturity and professional competence in preparation for careers in today’s music industry, where they can put into practice what they have learned.
ASSOCIATE OF ARTS OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
The intensive A.A. curriculum prepares musicians to perform in any professional situation, along with learning professional development skills such as beginner computer use, EPK creation, resume and bio writing, and social media as a tool for business and networking. The Associate of Arts Degree is intended to equip students with the methods, knowledge and training needed to become professional performers in today’s music industry.
CERTIFICATE OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
Students can earn a Certificate in MI’s Performance Studies program for Guitar. With an innovative 360-degree approach to music education, MI Certificates are centered on Harmony, Theory and Ear Training, with core subjects in Reading, Technique and Performance. This Certificate program provides students with a broad foundation of knowledge and practical experience, encouraging the rapid development of skills in preparation for a range of professional music performance situations.
MI SELECT & NON-CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
MI Select are non-certificate programs designed to provide students with “a taste of MI” if they prefer another method of learning rather than enrolling full-time. Students can create their own customized schedule from available classes, lessons and workshops, while enjoying access to the special guest clinics, extra activities and other industry networking opportunities. MI Select is a great opportunity for a beginner looking for a unique experience in learning guitar with a thorough curriculum.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- The guitar degree programs help students learn the full spectrum of contemporary guitar skills, with core classes including Guitar Technique, Guitar Performance, Guitar Reading, Harmony/Theory/Ear Training.
- The best guitar music school for guitar offers extensive stylistic and conceptual electives including Funk Guitar, Guitar Effects, Metal Guitar, Recording Guitar, Rock Rhythm and Lead Guitar, Modern Jazz Concepts, Guitar Workout, Melodic Soloing, Country Guitar, Shred Guitar, Advanced Groove Concepts, Blues Guitar and Acoustic Guitar.
- Develop stage-ready live performing skills and guitar tricks in contemporary styles from blues, jazz, and fusion to country, rock, Afro-Cuban, Brazilian, reggae, funk, R&B, and hip hop. Students will be stage-ready after their extensive training in classrooms and on stage in our performance rooms.
- Weekly one-hour private lessons with our professional working instructors, who offer the experience, insight and knowledge students cannot get solely from online guitar learning software.
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: BACHELOR
Bachelor of Music Degree requirements include completion of 30 semester-units or 45 quarter-units of coursework in General Studies. For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: CERTIFICATE
Musicians Institute programs are fast paced and certain fundamental musical skills are required before you can begin your program. If you meet entry requirements and are accepted, a one-on-one performance evaluation and placement testing will be held during registration to determine whether you qualify for advanced placement in any area of course work. You are evaluated based on the content of your submission. For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
International students make up nearly one-fourth of MI’s total student population, representing more than 50 countries throughout the world while creating a unique and diverse learning environment, full of endless opportunities in Hollywood and beyond. For more info, please visit the International Students page.
- Full production sound stages and recording studios
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- MI Library equipped with learning software that supplement classroom lessons and materials. Students also have access to top of the line guitars, pedal boards, amps and more, all which can be rented from our MI Library and used in our practice and performance studios. Some of our available guitars: Suhr Standard Pro, Strandberg Boden 7 String, Fender Stratocaster, and more.
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
Our faculty pool consists of dedicated professionals that are also actively working in the competitive Los Angeles music scene, giving students unique insight. These passionate masters are some of the best in the business, and offer students clear guidance and nurturing designed to help them get the most out of their time at MI.