INDEPENDENT ARTIST PROGRAM
Learn the diverse skills needed to write, record and promote your original songs. MI’s Independent Artist Program provides the technical knowledge and professional skills you need to survive as an independent recording and performing artist.
CONTROL YOUR FUTURE
MI’s Independent Artist Program provides the technical knowledge and professional skills you need to survive as an independent recording and performing artist in today’s music world. Experienced instructors guide you through the complete creative process from songwriting, arranging, recording and production to marketing and promotion.
Use your personal laptop audio workstation to record and mix live vocals, instruments, samples and loops into finished tracks, then showcase them on your self-designed website. Whether you are a singer, DJ, producer, rapper or instrumentalist, MI prepares you to take control of your future.
CERTIFICATE IN INDEPENDENT ARTIST DEVELOPMENT
Instrumentalists, singers, songwriters, rappers, DJs and producers learn the entire process of creating their own project—from writing and recording to marketing, publicity, website design and final release. This program is designed to equip musicians with the various skills needed to independently write, record and market their original material.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- Trains students in the full spectrum of contemporary career needs, with core classes including Recording Techniques, Logic Pro X, Songwriting, Entertainment Business, Musicianship, Marketing and Visual Media.
- Designed to equip creative individuals with the skills required to write, produce and market their original music.
- Enjoy unlimited, one-on-one, Project Advising sessions in our professional recording studios. Project Advisors work with students weekly to help them apply the knowledge and skills learned throughout the program to their projects. These advisors are experts in many areas, including songwriting, music production, audio recording, entertainment business, music theory, and graphic design.
- Project Advisors work with students weekly to help them apply the knowledge and skills learned throughout the program to their projects. These advisors are experts in many areas, including songwriting, music production, audio recording, and graphic design.
- Studio Time: Students can book up to 3 studio slots per week, 1 of which can be an overnight session (a total of 12 hours per week). If a studio slot has not been booked, students can also do a walk-in session. There is no limit to the number of times you can walk in to a session each week.
- Work in one of our 4 professional recording studios, or directly on your laptop audio workstation as you learn to sequence, sample, record, edit and mix — the world is your studio.
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: BACHELOR
Bachelor of Music Degree requirements include completion of 30 semester-units or 45 quarter-units of coursework in General Studies.
For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
International students make up nearly one-fourth of MI’s total student population, representing more than 50 countries throughout the world while creating a unique and diverse learning environment, full of endless opportunities in Hollywood and beyond.
For more info, please visit the International Students page.
- Full production sound stages and recording studios
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
An outstanding staff of industry professionals brings practical, up-to-date experience directly to the classroom. Regular Q&A and clinics with guest artists and industry executives.