BUILD YOUR VOCAL TECHNIQUE AND IDENTITY
MI Online’s Vocal degrees are designed to build your technique and identity as well as gain confidence in your abilities plus train you to be a tech-savvy industry professional.
Sign up for the best online singing courses and voal lessons at MI Online, and take the skills you develop in our online voice lessons directly to the stage learning not only how to sing, but how to communicate effectively with a live audience whether you’re interpreting contemporary styles or showcasing your original material. MI’s unique creative performing environment challenges you to expand the limits of your vocal instrument while creating and exploring your own style..
MI’s online voice lessons and singing courses are among the best in the industry, providing you with a well-rounded education and rigorous vocal training. As a vocalist, you’ll receive personalized instruction from renowned faculty members who have extensive experience in the music industry. Our program focuses not only on developing your technical skills but also on nurturing your unique artistic identity. With a degree in vocal performance from MI Online, you’ll be equipped with the knowledge, expertise, and confidence to excel as a professional vocalist in today’s music industry. Whether you aspire to perform on stage, record your own music, or become a vocal coach, MI Online will empower you to achieve your goals and become a well-rounded, versatile artist.
BACHELOR OF MUSIC IN PERFORMANCE
This unique degree program combines contemporary music performance training with the rigorous study of traditional disciplines including sight-reading, music history, arranging, conducting, recording and more. The comprehensive program instructs students to demonstrate stylistic depth, creative maturity and professional competence in preparation for careers in today’s music industry.
ASSOCIATE OF ARTS IN MUSIC PERFORMANCE
The intensive A.A. curriculum prepares musicians to perform in any professional situation, along with learning professional development skills such as basic computer use, EPK creation, resume and bio writing, and social media as a tool for business and networking. The Associate of Arts Degree is intended to equip students with the knowledge and training needed to become professional performers in today’s music industry.
CERTIFICATE IN MUSIC PERFORMANCE
Students can earn a Certificate in MI’s Performance Studies program for Vocal. With an innovative 360-degree approach to music education, MI Certificates are centered on Harmony, Theory and Ear Training, with core subjects in Reading, Technique and Performance. This Certificate program provides students with a broad foundation of knowledge and practical experience, encouraging the rapid development of skills in preparation for a range of professional music performance situations.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- Vocal Performance – Developing fundamental technical approaches through twice-weekly performances with a live, three-piece backing band in a number of popular genres.
- Vocal Technique – Learning breathing techniques and breath management. Increasing vocal range, strengthening the voice and more through vocal exercises plus learning about vocal health with an introduction to the anatomy and physiology of the voice.
- Harmony/Theory/Ear Training – Development of fundamental music notation skills for pitch and rhythm, scales and key signatures, intervals, triads and harmonies.
- Sight Singing – The basic elements of sight reading music.
- Image Development – Focusing on developing a stage persona, on-camera interviews, video shoot terminologies, filmed camera performances, appropriate song choices, set lists and more.
- Promotional Media – Creating the audio/visual materials necessary to promote students as artists, performers or songwriters using professional photographs, websites, electronic press kits, CD covers and biographies.
- Entertainment Business – Understanding the entertainment industry including publishing, copyrights, contracts, record companies, distributors, agents, managers, lawyers and more.
- Studio Recording – Learning the art and practical skills of creating your own professional quality song demo, including pre-production, recording studio terminology, EQ, pre-amplification, equipment choices and effects for lead vocals.
- Extensive Electives – including Blues, R&B, Rock, Heavy Metal, Jazz, Brazilian, Country, Rap, and TC Helicon for Vocalists (live vocal looping).
B. Song with Accompaniment: Sing one song with accompaniment (instrument or backing track). The vocal melody must cover a range of at least one half-octave. You may submit previously recorded material but using Autotune or an equivalent on your voice is not permitted; Original material or covers.
C. Song without Accompaniment: Sing one song without accompaniment (“a cappella”–this should not be the soloed vocal track from the song with accompaniment from Section B; it should be a different song). At least one of the two songs in categories B and C must be performed in English.
D. Speaking Voice: Record your own speaking voice with a short narrative in English explaining why you wish to attend Musicians Institute.
Includes LA’s top instructors and performers who are continually involved in the ever-changing music industry who bring their real world experience into the classroom. Regular concerts and clinics with top vocal specialists from around the world.