The Songwriting and Production programs at Musicians Institute is designed to create versatile songwriters who will have the skills to steadily work in today’s modern music industry. Graduates of this program will be able to write and produce their own music, while also exploring other areas of the industry, such as writing music for other artists or for TV, film and commercial placement.
Songwriters have always been an integral part of the music industry. The art of writing music requires endless creativity and the songs they make are what keep artists and fans connected.
At MI, students in the songwriting program will be fully immersed in the entire process it takes to write a song, from ideation to writing lyrics, to recording and production.
Upon graduation, the students will complete a recording and mix, master and create liner notes for what can be used as a professional demo.
Bachelor of Music in Songwriting and Production
Certificate of Music in Songwriting
- Students will write, perform and record their own original music over the scope of the program.
- The Senior Project Portfolio will task students to write and arrange music for Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals, Live band with horns and virtual instrumentation.
- Students will be required to go into one of MI’s recording studios and produce their tracks.
- Students will mix, master and create liner notes for what can be used as a professional demo.
- Students will Learn to use industry standard recording and notation software. This software includes: Logic, Pro Tools, Abelton Live, Sibelius and others.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- Write, perform and record original music.
- Write and arrange a Senior Project Portfolio, editing Lead Vocals, Backing Vocals, Live band with horns and virtual instrumentation.
- Mix, master and create liner notes for professional demo to be used after graduation.
- How to use industry standard recording and notation software including Logic, Pro Tools, Abelton Live, Sibelius and others.
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: BACHELOR
Students looking to apply to Musicians Institute Bachelor of Music in Songwriting and Production program should have working knowledge and experience in each of the follows areas:
- Notating all major and minor scales (bass and treble clefs)
- Key signatures, time signatures (simple and compound)
- Intervals, triads, and seventh chord construction
- Basic harmonic analysis using both treble clef and grand staff
- Hearing and identifying diatonic scale members and intervals Hearing basic chord qualities
- Hearing and notating basic rhythms
- Hearing and notating basic chord progressions
Instrument (All Instruments)
- All major and minor scales (two octaves)
- Ability to read melodies and rhythms in simple time signatures
- Ability to play different styles of music (i.e. rock, latin, funk, jazz) Ability to read chord charts and master rhythm parts
- Ability to play with consistent time-feel (with and without a metronome)
- Experience playing in small or large ensembles
- Ability to play various seventh chord voicings
- Ability to comp. in various styles with appropriate sound
- Ability to play scales (both hands – similar and contrary motion)
- Ability to play seventh chord voicings
- Ability to comp. in various styles
- Ability to play blues and other standard song forms
- Ability to create a part from an existing chord chart
- Ability to play basic rudiments
- Ability to read snare drum music
- Ability to read drum kit specific charts
- Ability to play solid time and groove in various styles
- Ability to sing scales and intervals in tune (without instrumental support) Good intonation throughout vocal range
- Ability to read vocal parts
- Ability to demonstrate good time and phrasing
- Basic ability to sing in various vocal styles
SONGWRITING & PRODUCTION
- Meet the above requirements on your instrument/voice
- Have written and can perform at least 2 original songs
- Familiar with working on a DAW
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: CERTIFICATE
A. Submit two performed pieces that best represent your style and abilities on your instrument or voice. At least one piece should be original.
Please submit a chart for all original music (handwritten charts are accepted, but charts using a notation software are preferred.) You may sing or play to backing tracks.
B. Speaking Voice: Record your own speaking voice with a short narrative explaining why you wish to attend Musicians Institute.
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
This program is currently only approved for Domestic (U.S. Citizen) students.
Our faculty is comprised of dedicated, working professionals in the competitive Los Angeles music scene. These passionate professionals offer clear guidance and nurturing class environments, designed for students get the most out of their time at MI.
- Full production sound stages and recording studios
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- New private drum studio specifically designed to accommodate one-on-one program chair counseling sessions and live auditions
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
- Specialty gear such as be-bop and e-kits.
READY TO ROCK?
The first step in applying to any MI program is to complete an Application for Admission, and get started with the best music college!
Have a question for our music school? Our admissions department is available to answer your questions, give us a call!
Program requirements of our music school, as well as tuition for individual programs, and course information.