The MI Bass Program, led by a world-class staff of professional bassists, combines intensive technical training with applied performances, equipping you to handle any style from funk to rock, jazz, R&B and more
SETTING THE STANDARD
MI’s Bass programs have been setting the standard for contemporary bass education for over three decades. Under the direction of a world-class teaching staff of professional bassists, you develop the techniques, musicianship, technological expertise and playing experience to handle any style from funk to rock, jazz, Latin, R&B and more while you also unlock your unique playing style. MI’s performing opportunities are unmatched by any bass school in the world, and graduates are performing, recording, producing, composing and anchoring rhythm sections around the world.
In addition to the many general music-related classes and electives offered at MI, the Bass Program provides grads with the essential knowledge and skills that lead to such career options as:
ACCOMPANIST (STUDIO OR LIVE)
Bachelor of Music in Performance
Associate of Arts in Performance
Certificate: School of Performance Studies
- All aspects of theory and musicianship for the electric and upright bass
- Playing techniques for finger and slap styles
- Exposure to various grooves like rock, funk, shuffles, swing, odd- meter, Brazilian, Afro-Cuban, country, and jam-band
- Performance classes to fine-tune listening skills and stage presence
- Experience with chart reading and band interaction
- Fretboard basics covering triads, chords, scales, harmonies and arpeggios
- Includes music theory, ear training, music history, and understanding of different styles
- Reading fundamentals for the bass clef, with rhythmic subdivisions, pitch identification, and string positions
- A choice of elective classes for topics like upright acoustic bass as well as genres like metal, R&B and jazz
An outstanding staff of Los Angeles bassists brings practical, up-to-date experience directly to the classroom:
CREDITS: CROSBY, STILLS & NASH, MANHATTAN TRANSFER, JACKSON BROWNE, DWEEZIL & AHMET ZAPPA, ALBERT LEE, CAROLE KING
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
30 SECONDS TO MARS, ASHES DIVIDE ON ISLAND/DEFJAM
MUSIC DIRECTOR FOR CIRQUE DU SOLEIL
EVANESCENCE, JASON BONHAM BAND
RICH RICHARDSON, ROBBEN FORD BAND
SARA BAREILLIES, ROBBEN FORD BAND
MI offers a digital-based BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) curriculum, providing a comprehensive music education with exclusive downloadable eBooks available on any mobile platform.
Instructors are working professionals, touring and recording with top artists, who bring their experiences back to the classroom.
Over 75 Private practice labs, 12 performance rehearsal rooms and 30 project recording studios are available for all your needs.
MI’s state-of-the-art campus in the heart of the entertainment industry has a Concert Hall, computer labs, classrooms with full backline and a fully-equipped Music Library.
Small class sizes, private lessons and Open Counseling sessions mean you get personalized attention and guidance from a variety of instructors.
500+ courses are offered every academic Quarter, covering a wide variety of core & elective subjects in music and the entertainment industry.
READY TO ROCK?
The first step in applying to any MI program is to complete an Application for Admission.
Our admissions department is available to answer your questions, give us a call!
Program requirements, tuition for individual programs, and course information.