DJ PERFORMANCE & PRODUCTION
The DJ School at Musicians Institute provides in-depth knowledge and training for aspiring DJs, producers, beat-makers, remix artists & electronic musicians. Upon graduation, DJ students will be prepared to produce original tracks and set their own path in and behind the scenes.
COMPREHENSIVE LEARNING, TOOLS & SUPPORT
MI’s DJ School in Los Angeles offers students the skills to kick off a successful career on the decks. MI students are provided with in-depth knowledge and training in the latest technologies, tools and techniques used in contemporary electronic performance and production.
Our comprehensive DJ classes include subjects in Beat-Matching, Vinyl Turntablism, various DAWs such as Ableton Live and Maschine, Digital DJ solutions such as Traktor Pro and Serato DJ, Remixing, Sound Design and much more. Students will also be trained on tools that have shaped DJing, such as Vinyl DJ’ing, Controllers and CDJ setups.
CERTIFICATE IN DJ PERFORMANCE & PRODUCTION
Musicians Institute’s Certificate in DJ Performance and Production is a 2-quarter, 30-unit program for aspiring DJs, producers, beat-makers, remix artists, and electronic music composers and performers. Students are provided with in-depth knowledge and training in the latest technologies, tools and techniques used in contemporary electronic performance and production.
MI SELECT & NON-CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
MI Select are non-certificate programs designed to provide students with “a taste of MI” if they want another option to full-time. Students can create their own customized schedule from available classes and workshops, while enjoying access to the special guest clinics, extra activities and other industry networking opportunities.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- All aspects of theory and musicianship for the electric and upright bass
- Playing techniques for finger and slap styles
- Exposure to various grooves like rock, funk, shuffles, swing, odd- meter, Brazilian, Afro-Cuban, country, and jam-band
- Performance classes to fine-tune listening skills and stage presence
- Experience with chart reading and band interaction
- Fretboard basics covering triads, chords, scales, harmonies and arpeggios
- Includes music theory, ear training, music history, and understanding of different styles
- Reading fundamentals for the bass clef, with rhythmic subdivisions, pitch identification, and string positions
- A choice of elective classes for topics like upright acoustic bass as well as genres like metal, R&B and jazz
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: CERTIFICATE
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
- State of the Art DJ practice facilities featuring equipment from leading manufacturers Pioneer, Serato, and Native Instruments.
- Ableton-Certified training center lab featuring 12 Ableton PUSH 2 controllers and Ableton Live Suite-equipped Macs.
- Controllerism lab equipped with Serato and Native Instruments DJ Controllers.
- Multiple recording studios available for student use.
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities.
- Security on campus 24/7.
Our faculty pool is comprised of dedicated, working processionals in the competitive Los Angeles music scene. These passionate masters offer clear guidance and nurturing designed to make the students get the most out of their time at MI.