MI’s Guitar Craft Program is designed to provide students with the specialized skills of Luthiery – the art of guitar making and technical maintenance.
DESIGN AND BUILD YOUR OWN INSTRUMENT
MI’s Guitar Craft program offers comprehensive training in the design, construction, and maintenance of electric and acoustic guitars. In keeping with MI’s total-immersion approach to education, your classroom is a fully equipped instrument manufacturing facility. As a final project, you design and build your own instrument, learning through direct experience under the guidance of first-rank professionals how to analyze and solve the problems encountered by working luthiers.
Whether your goal is to work for a guitar manufacturer, design and build your own instruments, or work as a guitar tech, a Guitar Craft education provides the foundation for success.
CERTIFICATE IN GUITAR CRAFT
Students learn to build an electric guitar or bass from scratch—including design, fabrication, wiring, electronics, repair and maintenance. This program provides comprehensive preparation for professions in the fields of instrument manufacturing and repair.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- Trains students in the full spectrum of contemporary luthiery skills, with core classes including Instrument Design, Instrument Fabrication, Fretwork & Setup, Instrument Repair, Electronics, and Finish Work
- During the program, every student designs and builds a custom electric guitar or bass for their personal use.
- Each student also receives weekly private instruction in stylistic instrument performance techniques.
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: CERTIFICATE
Musicians Institute programs are fast paced and certain fundamental musical skills are required before you can begin your program. If you meet entry requirements and are accepted, a one-on-one performance evaluation and placement testing will be held during registration to determine whether you qualify for advanced placement in any area of course work. You are evaluated based on the content of your submission.
For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
International students make up nearly one-fourth of MI’s total student population, representing more than 50 countries throughout the world while creating a unique and diverse learning environment, full of endless opportunities in Hollywood and beyond.
For more info, please visit the International Students page.
- Full production sound stages and recording studios
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
Guitar Craft instructors bring decades of experience in manufacturing, custom shop operation and instrument repair directly into the classroom.
Was the supervisor of the Fender Custom Shop. Dave currently oversees the production of factory special run guitars, which are limited-edition instruments for special customers.