MI’s Guitar Craft Program is designed to provide students with the specialized skills of Luthiery – the art of guitar making and technical maintenance.
DESIGN AND BUILD YOUR OWN INSTRUMENT
The Certificate in Guitar Craft program also offers Acoustic Guitar Design as an additional quarter with 15 credits, where students can learn specific design for acoustic guitars. MI is additionally launching Set Neck Design, another one quarter, 15 credit addition to the Certificate program.
Whether your goal is to work for a guitar manufacturer, design and build your own instruments, or work as a guitar tech, a Guitar Craft education provides the foundation for success.
CERTIFICATE IN GUITAR CRAFT
Students learn to build an electric guitar or bass from scratch—including design, fabrication, wiring, electronics, repair and maintenance. This program provides comprehensive preparation for professions in the fields of instrument manufacturing and repair.
MI SELECT & NON-CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS
MI Select are non-certificate programs designed to provide students with “a taste of MI” if they want another option to full-time. Students can create their own customized schedule from available classes and workshops, while enjoying access to the special guest clinics, extra activities and other industry networking opportunities.
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- Trains students in the full spectrum of contemporary luthiery skills, with core classes including Instrument Design, Instrument Fabrication, Fretwork & Setup, Instrument Repair, Electronics, and Finish Work
- During the program, every student designs and builds a custom electric guitar or bass for their personal use.
- Each student also receives weekly private instruction in stylistic instrument performance techniques.
For a detailed look at all of MI’s program offerings, you can find the course catalog here.
ENTRANCE REQUIREMENTS: CERTIFICATE
For more info, please see the MI Course Catalog.
Musicians Institute offers many opportunities for scholarships in all of our programs. Please visit our Scholarship page for more information.
Please visit MI’s Financial Aid page for all the details on how you can qualify.
For more info, please visit the International Students page.
- Full production sound stages and recording studios
- Fully equipped 24/7 practice facilities and computer labs with the latest industry standard equipment
- Concert Hall access, with full audio/video recording capabilities
- Multiple performance and recording studios available for student practice
- Security on campus 24/7
Guitar Craft instructors bring decades of experience in manufacturing, custom shop operation and instrument repair directly into the classroom.
Was the supervisor of the Fender Custom Shop. Dave currently oversees the production of factory special run guitars, which are limited-edition instruments for special customers.