EAR TRAINING 3
By the end of this course, students will understand transcribing, rhythm and diatonic melody, harmony and progressions and much more.
WHO IS THIS COURSE FOR?
In order to take Ear Training 3, students should be able to demonstrate knowledge of the following and/or have completed MI Online’s Ear Training 1 & 2:
- Major scales
- Simple intervals
- Chromatic intervals
- Diatonic triads and chord progressions
- Transcribing basic rhythms
- Transcribing simple major minor melodies on the staff
- Identifying melodic and harmonic intervals
- Identifying triad qualities
- Identifying diatonic chord progressions
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Once you’ve enrolled, just kick back and wait for your online course to start on the specified date. We’ll send you a reminder email shortly before your course starts.
- Once your course is live, a new unit will unlock every week for ten weeks. Each weekly unit contains fresh new coursework, pre-recorded video lessons, assignments, and more.
- Mark’s course includes weekly assignments as well as a mid-term assessment in week five and a final assessment in week 10. You will receive instructions and requirements via email prior.
- All assignments are graded and you will get constructive feedback along with your grade.
- You can earn an MI Online Certificate of Accomplishment when you obtain a grade of 70% or more once your 10-week course is complete.
WHAT GEAR WILL I NEED?
- A computer (PC/Mac) with at least 4GB RAM
- We recommend that you connect to an Internet Line with an average speed of 10Mbps or better, and to use an Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi
- The ability to make basic recordings of yourself
- The ability to connect with the instructor via video chat applications
- Pencil, staff paper
- A keyboard or principal instrument may be useful but is not a prerequisite
- We recommend using Chrome or Firefox internet browsers on iOS, MacOS, Windows or Android
- Full access to install software on the computer you are using
How do I try a free lesson?
Go to the course page you’re interested in and click on the “Try a free lesson” button to sign up.
How do I enroll in a course?
No need to apply. Simply click “Enroll” on our course pages and create your MI Online profile. Once your payment is complete, consider yourself enrolled! All that’s left to do is put a reminder in your calendar of the course start date. We’ll email you a course date reminder and important info to get you started.
Do you offer courses in other languages?
Not yet but we’re working on it – stay tuned!
Can I take the course using my mobile phone or tablet?
Yes! You should, however, be aware that the Live Lecture chat box feature is not available for mobile devices. You can watch and hear your instructor but you won’t be able to ask him questions.
Are MI Online courses available for credit?
Not at this time but we’re looking into it. All courses delivered by MI Online are offered as an avocational option for individuals interested in music training and skills development. Courses are not offered for credit and are not applicable toward the attainment of any degree, certificate, or other academic award.
How many students are there in each course?
We have a maximum of 20 students per class for each of our courses. Our small class sizes helps create a collaborative, intimate space so that you’ll get the most out of your learning experience with your instructor and classmates.
How do MI Online courses work?
All our courses are 10 weeks. Each week you’ll watch pre-recorded video lessons. You’ll also receive an assignment, which is due before your scheduled Live Lecture with your Instructor. Your Live Lectures are your virtual classrooms and your opportunity to engage with, and learn directly from, your Course Instructor.
How long is the course accessible for?
You can access your course material for up to 12 months after your course ends.
Which payment methods do you accept?
We support payments from Visa, MasterCard, American Express and PayPal.
Can I pay for the course using a Payment Plan?
Yes, you can purchase all our courses in three monthly installments using your credit card.
BUILD ON YOUR EAR TRAINING FOUNDATION
Learn music essentials in 10 weeks with a rich and dynamic content mix of online video lessons, multimedia quizzes, and more.
WHAT YOU’LL LEARN
- Musical notation: pentatonic scales, symmetrical melodic fragments.
- Natural minor compared to major.
- Natural minor melodies without rhythm.
- Blues scale melodies, simple blues progressions.
- Natural, harmonic and melodic minor.
- Diatonic minor triad progressions, five chord progressions: Roman numerals.
- Diatonic minor key triad progressions.
Understand how to construct pentatonic scales.
Unit 2: Blues
Learn how to build a blues scale and understand basic blues chord progressions.
Unit 3: Natural Minor
Compare the differences between Major and Minor harmonies.
Unit 4: Melodic Transcription: Minor
Learn how to transcribe arrhythmic melodies based on the natural minor scale.
Unit 5: Melodic and Rhythmic Transcription
Fine-tune your musical ear by transcribing minor melodies rhythmically and melodically.
Unit 6: Tying It All Together
Assess your ability to build pentatonic scales, blues scales and transcribe minor melodies.
Unit 7: Harmonic and Melodic Minor
Understand how to build Harmonic and Melodic Minor scales.
Unit 8: Minor Harmony
Learn the diatonic triad harmony for the Minor Scales.
Unit 9: Seventh Chords
Learn the diatonic seventh chord harmony for the Minor Scales.
Unit 10: Putting It All Together
Review what you have learned over the past three months.
SUBMIT INFO BELOW TO LEARN MORE ABOUT MI